RSA Competency Cards

To work in a NSW licensed venue you may require training in one or more of the following competency categories:-

  • Responsible Service of Alcohol;
  • Responsible Conduct of Gambling;
  • Privacy Training.

Privacy training is only required for staff in licensed venues that are required by law to operate a linked patron ID scanner system (e.g. high risk venues in the Kings Cross precinct).

As to the type of training you may require depends on the role you perform at a licensed venue.  You must have the right certification before you commence work.  You should also check regularly to make sure that your training is valid (i.e. not expired). You must renew your training by attending/completing an approved course every 5 years to keep it current.   Please call us if you require assistance as to the type of training that is applicable to the role you will perform in a NSW licensed venue.

Further, Service NSW has assumed responsibility for proof of identification checks for photo competency cards through its selective Service Centres.  Click on the link to ascertain if there is a Service Centre near you.

Please also visit the OLGR website at to find out more about certification requirements.